Local Resources / Parts
This is a rough list of local (New York Area) Resources and Parts Suppliers
Please add and elaborate.
Also see Mail Order Resources / Parts
- 304 East 5th Street (between 1st and 2nd Aves) New York, NY 10003
- Stocks Arduinos, Raspberry Pis, Soldering kits, Robot kits, breadboards, jumper wires, electronic components, robot parts, sensors, and much more
- Specializes in Robots, Toys, Hobby Electronics and Crafts for tinkerers. They do special orders if you need something for a specific project and the staff is highly knowledgeable.
- Online ordering with same-day in-store pickup available
- NYU Book/Computer Store
- 726 Broadway, New York, NY 10003
- Stocks Arduinos, breadboards, some components, some tools.
- You don't need to be affiliated with NYU to shop here
- Allstate Electronics
- 170 - 30 Jamaica Ave. , Jamaica Queens
- Tel - 1 ( 718 ) 291 - 3388 / 3389 / 3769
- Store is an electronic parts counter. If they don't have it , it's not made.
- See here for picture of storefront -> http://i34.tinypic.com/30ud1xh.jpg
- Leeds Electronics
- 68 North 7th St., Brooklyn ( Williamsburg )
- Odd Lot and "vintage" parts.
- Photo (found on flickr): 
- If you need a NOS or used tube, it's here, from audio tubes to cathode ray tubes
- From time to time there will be a few Nixie tubes as well for great prices
- Also a lot of heavy-duty connectors, enclosures and switches, great for effects pedals
- Went there on May 15 2014 during business hours, but the door was locked. Store may not be always open -- call before going there.
- 269 Electronics
- 269 Canal St., New York (Manhattan - Chinatown)
- In the very back of a generic looking Chinatown Gift/Watch/Purse Shop.
- (212) 625-0405
- Soldering Supplies & Beginners soldering kits (circuit board + components)
- Assorted hand tools (screwdrivers, tweezers, etc)
- NTE Distributor
- Resistors, Capacitors, Switches, Wire, Connectors
- Does not carry surface mount parts or 20Mhz crystals, but has more HAM Radio related parts
- Argo Electronics
- 393 Canal Street, New York (Manhattan - Chinatown)
- (212) 226-4945
- Mostly broken A/V gear, PC boards etc.
- Some old CRO's & other test gear.
- Surplus components of likely little value unless you're lucky.
- Junk products.
- Some new A/V cables, connectors, power supplies.
- Has the occasional gem to be found.
- Trojan Electronics
- 15 Middleburgh Street, Troy, NY 12180 ( Kinda near albany )
- Lots of stuff, relativley cheap. knowledgeable staff
- Wayne Electronics
- Lashen Electronics, Inc.
- Lashen Electronics, Inc.
- 21 Broadway
- Denville, NJ 07834
- Electronic Barn
- 48 Farrand St, Bloomfield, NJ (973) 429-9304
- Google Map: 
- Located underneath the NTE warehouse
- 2 rooms full with many bins full of electronic and mechanical surplus junk
- Electronic components, giant capacitors, etc.
- Similar to the surplus back room of Edmund Scientific
- I haven't been there in 10 years. Hope they're still around!
- Brooklyn Battery Works
- They are a mail-order company, but are local so may allow pick up. Otherwise, shipping should be fast.
1/11/2008 Update - I just called the number for Electronics Barn above, and it seems to have been taken over by another company. The person on the phone told me that I should go to NTEINC.com , and get part numbers, then I could order and pick up parts between 9-3.
I then went to nteinc.com, looked at the NJ distributors. Interestingly, one was listed in Bloomfield, and has a web site, here: . The address appears to be the same. So Electronics Barn appears to now be a distributor called Solid State, Inc.
Local HAM Fests and computer shows flea markets
Good sources for cheap lasers, solar panels, computers, and electronic parts.
- MIT Flea third Sunday of each month, April through October
- Trenton Computer Festival http://www.tcf-nj.org (lot of the same vendors from MIT Flea)
- Pics and video from past TCF's http://www.techfreakz.org/tcf/
Fabrication and Materials
- Canal Plastic Center
- 345 Canal Street New York, NY 10013
- Arcrylic Sheets, tubes, domes, boxes, etc.
- Laser-Cutting and Engraving
- Pearl Paint
- 308 Canal Street New York, NY 10013
- Phone: 212-431-7932
- Assorted plastic, wood, foam, paper
- Carries mold rubber and resin casting supplies for plastic casting
Pearl Paint has closed. Many unhappy customers.
- Stock Drive Products / Sterling Instrument
- 55 South Denton Ave New Hyde Park, NY 11040 (Long Island)
- Gears, bearings, shafts, pulleys, sprockets, chains, belts
- Free catalog with technical information
- T & T Plastic Land Inc.
- 315 Church Street New York, NY 10013
- (212) 925-6376
Sewing and Crafts
- Purl SoHo
- Specialty yarns
- 459 Broome Street
- (800) 597-7875
- Pacific Trimming
- Zippers, buttons, ribbons, chain, rhinestones, trim
- 218 W 38th St
- Steinlauf & Stoller
- Sewing notions.
- They sell double sided interfacing that can be lasercut and used to make iron
- 239 W 39th St.
- Mood Fabrics
- Huge selection of fabrics
- 225 W 37th St 3rd Floor
- New York Elegant Fabrics
- Far-out fabrics like tyvek and neon vinyl, candy-colored furs, etc.
- 222 West 40th Street